Thursday, February 23, 2012

A color so distinctive...

I love Thursdays. Probably because I don't start class until three. As a result I'm laying in bed with a cup of tea, window open and cool air trickling in. I'm sure the sunny sky is a front and the moment I step outside I will be blasted away by a gust of wind, but for now from where I stand it's pretty lovely. 

Turquoise is one of those timeless stones that can't seem to help its self from becoming swept up in fashion trends. It must be its different and distinct sharp blues and greens. In my opinion its the best stone out there, but I might be biased since it's my birthstone [December]. Not to mention I am obsessed with any shade of turquoise, teal, sea foam green, aqua...if it's blue you name it and I probably love it. 

The turquoise necklace above was made by me from my great grandmothers turquoise beads. 
The name means "turkish stone" because it was brought to Europe from Turkey. Turquoise has been worn as a protection amulet for centuries, and was once thought to be a symbol of wealth. Native Americans honored the stone as sacred because of its ability to help them become one with the universe and absorb negative energy.

It is thought that Turquoise increases serenity, meditation energy, wisdom, balance, honest communication, strength, friendship and love.


-E

No comments: